There are over 100,000 species of mold on earth, and each and every one of them can be harmful to humans. Everyone is affected differently by mold exposure, but frequent exposure has been shown to have adverse effects on virtually everyone.
At Certified Disaster Services, our mold remediation services will help keep your home completely free of a mold growth. Let’s go over some of the negative effects mold can have on health, and why it’s so important to steer clear of it.
Asthma and Allergies
Mold on its own is not considered poisonous or toxic, but it can produce mycotoxins, which are toxic. These can lead to everything from skin rashes to even cancer in some extreme cases, depending on the length of exposure. More commonly, though, they result in allergic reactions. Signs here might include eye irritation, stuffy nose, coughing, wheezing, and irritation of the skin or throat.
In addition, high levels of airborne mold spores can trigger asthma attacks in people who have it. In children, it can even lead to the development of asthma in the first place, especially if the child already has a genetic predisposition for asthma.
Other Health Issues
Mold exposure can lead to chronic sinus infections, even when it’s not the main cause. It is linked to cases of depression, and is particularly risky for people who have compromised immune systems.
We may not consider it as often, but pets are affected by mold in very similar ways as humans. Pets exposed to mold can show symptoms including trouble breathing, coughing, nosebleeds, pulmonary hemorrhages, lethargy, runny noses and even their own allergic reactions. Pets that ingest mold products may undergo body tremors or muscle spasms. Always check foods that are given to pets in the home for this reason, and throw out any moldy food.
For more on the dangers of mold in the home, or to learn about our mold removal or water damage restoration services, speak to the pros atCertified Disaster Services today.